Saturday, August 1, 2009

LibraryThing

I had a hard time getting through this Thing, mainly because I couldn't find the sections on ThingLang, MarcThing, and ISBN check. Once the links were posted on the North Texas comments (Thanks again, speedylibrarian!) I read the articles, but didn't gain much insight.

On ThingLang: perhaps it is useful if you have a lot of foreign language books (academic library perhaps?) but my limited experience as a German major in college and occasional cataloger of a Spanish book is that foreign language editions generally have a different ISBN just as a different edition would in English, so I didn't understand the need.

HTML and XML are more foreign to me than Marc, so I probably wouldn't use MarcThing either, but it is a good thing for those "outside" the library field, I guess. And I haven't done enough cataloging to run across needing to do an ISBN check (usually the mistake is mine if I can't find a record through ISBN).

However, that said, I loved the discussion threads on "Librarians Who LibraryThing" and being able to get recommended reads based on current books. I may even use the social aspect to discuss books later...

No comments:

Post a Comment