Monday, July 20, 2009

Instant Messaging

I created both a Meebo account and a Yahoo account, but never did get the hang of creating a buddy list. My experience with Instant Messaging is at my work, being the librarian at a K-8 school. We have instant messaging just among staff (no students) preloaded for us. I use it a lot for managing Accelerated Reader. Teachers will IM me to unlock a student, I can IM the office for information on new students when setting up AR accounts. Teachers also IM me if they want to make an unscheduled library visit, or check on students they have sent individually if they are taking too long. Sometimes teachers will ask if we have a certain book or books by a certain author rather than looking stuff up for themselves on our online catalog. In short, (no pun intended) there are many uses for IM for any quick, immediate communication between staff members.

No comments:

Post a Comment